Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ghalib in my life...



"Huyi Muddat Ke Ghalib Mar Gaya Par Yaad Aata Hai
Woh Har Ek Baat Par Kahna, Ke Yu Hota To Kya Hota"

I remember the day, when I first met Ghalib. At that time I was too young to understand the true meanings behind his poetry but movies helped me allot to understand them J
When I was in 10th class the bacteria’s of Ghalib's poetry attacked my heart as a result Ghalib phobia start nourishing with in me. It took a new turn, when one of Ghalib's shair added in SRK's movie "Dil se" in song "satrangi re": 


"Ishq per zor nahi hai yeh wo aatish Ghalib,
Jo lagaye Na lagay Jo bujhaye Na baney"

With the passage of time our friendship becomes more and more intimate. I prefer Ghalib aashar for explanation as compare to any other poet because I don’t have to think much in writing explanation. “Ess shair mein Ghalib apney mehboob ko mukhatib kertey hoe kehtey hain key…”
Ghalib’s poetry is full of love but he never reveals the name of his beloved. This is the most beautiful element of his poetry. Apart from ghazals, there was a chapter named Khutoot-e-Ghalib it’s was the collection of Ghalib’s letter to his friends, students etc. His letters are as colorful as his poetry. It shows that Ghalib bhut rangein they no doubt he was.
Whether, I was in 10th, 11th or 12th class Ghalib always helped me. There was a permanent question related to Ghalib. “Define Ghalib as poet or write a brief account on Ghalib’s writing style and lastly mandar jab ala aashar ke tasreeh karein”
I used to start any question about Ghalib with this particular shair:

“Hain duiyan mein aur bhe sukhanwar buhut achay
Kehtey hain Ghalib ka hai andaz-e-bayan aur

After clearing my HSC (inter), I thought I’ll never find Ghalib again in my course, with tears filled in my eyes I said farewell to him but sacha pyar juda nahi hota! And luckily as I stepped inside university I found Ghalib’s picture hanging on a wall beside Urdu department and till now it’s my routine to greet him. Whenever I move from that corridor I use say “As salam-O-Alike baba jee J
And my friends use to say “Ager kabhie enhoney jawab dey dia to salaam kerna bhool jaoge” and yeah it’s scary! I have also seen that particular picture once in my dream :D

Kaaba kis muh se jaogay Ghalib,
Key sharam tum ko ate nahi”

This shair is very famous among my friends. Another misra from Ghalib’s poetry added in Bollywood movie sathiya:

“Kehtey hain ishq jisey khalal hai demag ka”

Ghalib is a permanent personality of Urdu language if there is Urdu subject in course then Ghalib must present in it. Ghalib once again entered in my life in 4th semester and once again I open my previous notes to learn his biography but it was somewhere stored in my memory which helped allot. Now, I have cleared my 4th semester and again said farewell to Ghalib but who knows Ghalib is waiting for me somewhere in other subject or course!
Yesterday was the 142nd death anniversary of Ghalib.

“May his soul rest in heaven"
“May his poetries remain part of the syllabus”
 Amen.




Some famous ashaar of Ghalib:











8 comments:

  1. Even though I have an almost totalitarian lack of indulgence in all things urdu, I have on occasions read Ghalib, and found him absolutely extraordinary, a bad boy of urdu literature and profound in his dialectics.

    You have got a nice blog, following it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post

    Ghalib was great poet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghalib was a very talented poet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice post.

    yesterday i googled Ghalib and read some of his masterpieces....

    I feel sorry for him as he was not praised to the extent that he deserved, when he was alive.

    what a vision he had !...
    Bazeecha-e itfaal hae dunya mere agay
    hota hae shab-o-roz tamasha mere agay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zahid Sharaab peenay de masjid main beth kr
    ya wo jaga bata jaha pr khuda nahi

    this is not a ghalib's shair please remove it..

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made an Image on the "Kehte hain Ghalib ka Hai Andaze Bayan Aur"
    Damn, he was such a Good Poet :')

    I love his Poetry. So much meaning in a few words.

    Ghalib Rocks ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Ghalib was a poet who knows the art to fill every word in different color.

    ReplyDelete