Sunday, September 30, 2012

Learning for a lifetime

Published in Young Nation 29 September 2012

The monster of exams usually gulps our hunger and sleep. The whole routine got disturbed, on breakfast time we use to sleep, we skip lunch and at dinner time we eat carelessly and remain awake the whole night in order to study. I witnessed the same situation during my exams.
It was my final exam, the fear was high and the craze of learning everything within minutes was on its full swing. I was complete submerged in the studies to the extent that a night before exam I remained awake and slept only for 2 hours. I revised the already learned stuff again and again.
In the morning my mind was completely jam and sleepy. I drank two cups of tea in order to gain the consciousness. Once again, I revised the whole course and got myself ready for the exam. Entering in the examination hall, I assure myself that I can do the paper and will secure full marks because I have learned everything by heart but all my assurance was ruined when I saw the question paper. It was all opinion based paper. I got shivered because I have learned all the questions by heart without understanding the central idea so I was not in the position to do the critical analysis on the asked questions.
At that movement, the voice of my primary teacher reverberates in my ears that once you have understand the basic meaning of a lesson you don’t have to learn it and avoid the pattern learning by heart because if you forget one word then the whole paragraph will evaporate from your mind.
From that day I realized that learning lecture by heart will give nothing because we will forget it immediately after exams but once we understand the real meanings it will remain stick in our mind for the lifetime. Moreover, in professional life, during interview your boss will not ask the answers of course questions he/she will judge you on the base of your knowledge and talent. So work on your qualification success will come automatically.

2 comments:

  1. Noor,

    Very right advice. One needs to learn the lesson in depth by understanding and not memorize by rote. Your primary teacher is so right.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning starts beyond syllabus. I am convinced that you actually learn when you read things not related to exam.

    & You must thank God that you didn't fall asleep during exam; once I did.

    ReplyDelete